Thursday

Casting the Head

Ive decided to make my final head for my puppet from fast cast. Fast cast is a two part polyurethane resin which is light, very strong and takes only 30 minutes to cure. To do this I first had to make a cast of my original head sculpt. I first cut out the mouth section as I will be making replacment mouths for the character. I then baked the sculpey head so it became solid.




I cut out a wooden base for the mold base



I added a metal tube to the back of the head which will be used as a pour hole for fast cast after mold is ready


I then added walls around the head



The silicone needed to be weighed out with a 5% catalyst added to make it cure



Once mixed together I added the silicone to my head sculpt. I poured it in from one corner in one fluid stream to help decrease the chances of air bubbles forming and ruining the mold


Once set i removen walls



Here is the pour hole in the back of mould



I finally cut down the back of the mold in a zig zag to help mold join back together better and removed the original sculpt the next step will be to add fast cast and begin to cast my heads

No comments:

Post a Comment